Come and help us celebrate the Chinese ties to our district
Next Thursday, a delegation from the Chinese Consulate-General in Christchurch will visit Amberley School to celebrate the link the school has with Rewi Alley, the celebrated New Zealand-born writer, educator, social reformer, potter and member of the Communist Party of China - a cause he dedicated 60 years of his life to.
The China Day celebration will see the Rewi Alley Hall, which houses a community cafe run by the school’s Parent Teachers Association, officially “re-opened” after undergoing an extensive facelift, including a new kitchen.
The event will showcase Chinese culture, traditional activities including music and dance as well as having traditional Chinese food available for purchase.
Programme for the day – all welcome!
26 June 2014 (Thursday); Time: 10:00 am – 1:30pm, on the outdoor stage
Chinese food and local food stalls will be operating from 10:00am – 1:30pm
Showcase of Chinese Culture : All day - 10:00am – 1:30pm
- Chinese Calligraphy
- Paper Cuts
- Tea Ceremony
- Mask Painting
- Making Dumplings
- Chinese Kungfu
- Singing and Dancing
Formal Function commences 11:00am
- Dragon and Lion Dances
- VIP Speeches and exchanging of gifts
- Madam Tan Xiutian (China Consul General)
- Marie Black (Deputy Mayor of Hurunui District)
- Chris Goodwin (Christchurch Branch President of NZCFS)
- Kevin O’Halloran (Principal of Amberly School)
Multicultural and Art Performances : 11:40am
- The Confucius Institute at the University of Canterbury (CIUC)
- Amberley School
- Fanghua Kungfu Centre
- Rewi Alley Academy
- Christchurch based Chinese communities
Showcase continues from 12:10pm