Cycle Safely on Hurunui Roads this Summer
Cycling is great fun and an excellent way to get around our picturesque district. Cycling is affordable and a great way to stay fit and healthy - as well as a convenient means of getting around. And the more people who cycle, the fewer vehicles on our roads. The fewer vehicles, the less harmful gases get emitted as well as less traffic noise and pollution.
An important thing to remember is, that as road user, you must follow the road rules. Here are a few simple tips to stay safe when sharing the road.
- Be Seen - Wear high visibility or brightly coloured clothing and use lights.
- Be Aware - Watch for car doors opening, potholes, rubbish, grates, and pedestrians. Always check for left turning vehicles.
- Be Predictable - Make eye contact with other road users. Maintain a straight line and don’t pass on the left hand side.
- Be Confident - Use hand signals and a bell. Ride at least one metre from parked cars. Use the cycle or traffic lane.
- Be Safe - Follow the road rules and choose the safest route.
- Be Patient - Slow down near parked or lined up vehicles. Pass slowly and only when safe.
- Be Prepared - Wear an approved helmet and check your bike regularly. Brakes, tyres, chain, lights, reflectors.