Efficiencies achieved in new combined Waste and Recycling Services district wide contract

31 July 2013

With the cost of providing waste and recycling services across the district exceeding $1.5 million each year, the Hurunui District Council has reviewed its current practices and has developed a model that consolidates the disjointed contracts into one comprehensive one.

The Council remains committed to providing recycling services in the district, and is equally committed to ensuring financial prudence on behalf of the ratepayers of the district. The principles of improving services and reducing costs were foremost in making the difficult decision regarding the way forward, and while the new dual collection contract provides for savings in excess of $180,000 annually, equally important was the fact that an improved service would also be provided for the Motunau Beach and Gore Bay communities, and also that the modern, effective sorting facilities being utilized would provide for even greater efficiencies.

Waste Control NZ Ltd, a company based in Sefton and employing local people, has been successful in being awarded all parts of the contract. They are already the current contractors for much of the work but at this time they do not carry out kerbside collection of recycling bags or processing of the recycling materials in those bags. Under the new contract, Waste Control NZ Ltd will provide a dual collection of refuse and recyclables (recycling bag and refuse bag) from the kerbside of every urban dwelling on the same day (this service is only happening in Hanmer Springs but nowhere else currently)

Waste Control NZ Ltd will commence this new dual service from 1 February 2014.

With Waste Control NZ Ltd also winning the recycling processing part of the contract, the long service by NCCR will come to an end. This was a difficult decision as the Council recognises the tremendous, valuable work that the passionate and committed people have put into that organisation over many years, but ultimately it was unable to accept NCCR’s tender under the new Local Government Reform Act which requires councils to “meet the current and future needs of communities for good-quality local infrastructure, local public services and performance of regulatory functions in a way that is most cost-effective for households and businesses”.

This new contract reinforces the Council’s commitment to waste minimization through recycling and re-use. The materials collected in the recycling bags will be back-loaded to the EcoSort facility in Parkhouse Road which processes all the recyclables from collections in Christchurch, Waimakariri and Selwyn districts. Every day an average of 200 tonnes is delivered, all of this passes through the MRF (Material Recovery Facility) where it is sorted in bales from where it's sold as a commodity.  Some of this material remains in New Zealand, some of it goes off shore and only 6% on average goes to landfill.

Apart from the easier system of putting out both rubbish and recycling on the same day, Hurunui residents will not notice too much change when the new contract starts on 1 Feb 2014. The green sacks will change to plastic pre-paid bags, and rural residents will still be able to drop off recycling bags at approved drop-off points but only the official Council bags will be collected. (This will ensure that all users of the service pay their way unlike now where a number of rural residents have “free-loaded “ by not paying anything for the green sacks).

There are no changes proposed for refuse bags so residents will still be able to put out at their gates up to two of any sort of bag. There is no change proposed for the re-use store because that operation is outside any Council contract, and transfer stations will also continue as at present.

For further information contact:                              

Cr Dick Davison (Working Party Spokesperson)
Phone 03 3158015, mobile 021900258
Email rdavison@clear.net.nz

Selection Methodology

Pursuant to best practice in relation to the Local Government Reform Act, the Hurunui District Council decided to evaluate tenders using a “weighted attribute” methodology. That meant tenderers were evaluated on :

These five non-price components made up 60% of the tenderers score. Price made up the other 40%