Hanmer Springs Forest to Reopen
As of 9am Thursday 12 February currently closed areas of the Hanmer Springs Forest will REOPEN, this includes all tracks, roads and forests.
Department of Conservation, Rayonier Matariki, Hanmer Springs Community Board the Hurunui District Council wish to thank everyone for their understanding during the recent closure.
Please take all the necessary precautions when visiting and continue to check our website on a regular basis as the decision to close the forest again may occur at any time and at short notice.
Those areas that are to reopen
- The Hanmer Springs Forest Track Network
- Conical Hill Reserve and walkway
- Woodland Reserve
- Clarence Valley Road – this is the road that leads up over Jacks Pass and into the St James Conservation area
- Jollies Pass Road – from the point past the Hanmer Cemetery where the road is gravel and leads over Jollies Pass
- Chatterton Road
- McIntyre Road
- The Woodland parking area around the DOC offices
- Rainbow Road
Please note: Access to Rainbow Road. The Rainbow Road is now open, though care is needed on some crossings between Coldwater Creek and Island Saddle. Please check the following website for updated access information.
For further information contact:
Emergency Management Officer
Hurunui District Council
(027) 586 1733
Department of Conservation
(027) 229 7735
Department of Conservation Office
(03) 313 0820
Councillor Hanmer Springs
(027) 274 7321