Notification of Application for Resource Consent under Section 95(A) of the Resource Management Act 1991
Resource consent: RC 110011
Applicant: Meridian Energy Limited
Proposed activity: Land use consent to construct, operate and maintain a wind farm. The construction, operation and maintenance of the wind farm will include the following activities:
- The transportation and erection of up to 33 wind turbines up to 130.5 metres in height and within a 100m radius of the position indicated on the turbine grid references.
- The erection of up to 33 transformers adjacent to each turbine base, either free standing on concrete pads or housed in kiosks.
- Earthworks including an estimated cut volume of approximately 773,000 cubic metres (m3) associated with the civil works including:
- roads and accesses;
- lay down areas;
- turbine platforms and foundation formation; and
- cable trenching and foundations for a substation, operations building and transmission lines.
The earthworks affect an estimated area of approximately 69.1 hectares within the 34km2 project site. A cut to fill approach will be undertaken wherever possible. Repositioning of excess fill will be carried out on site.
- An internal road network of approximately 22.2km
- Electrical works including:
- transmission and internal network connection of 33kV underground or overhead cables;
- a site substation; and
- an overhead 66kV transmission line within an approximately 2.7km long corridor, connecting the substation to an existing MainPower 66kV transmission line located alongside the site.
- The construction of an operations and maintenance building.
- The erection of up to two permanent wind meteorological monitoring towers up to 80 metres in height.
- Approximately 14 turbines or masts will have aviation obstacle lighting installed.
- The use and storage of hazardous substances.
- A range of temporary construction activities including but not limited to deliveries to site, on site concrete batching, geotechnical investigations, site offices, sediment and stormwater control.
- Progressive ongoing site rehabilitation and revegetation throughout the construction period.
The project construction timeframe is approximately 18 months, subject to sequencing and weather conditions.
Location: Project Hurunui Wind is located approximately 66km north of Christchurch within a 34km2 project site located on the eastern side of State Highway 1 between Omihi and Greta village. The wind farm will be located over 6 properties as follows:
- 1378 Omihi Road
- 1440 Omihi Road
- 2118 Omihi Road
- 589 Reeces Road
- 700 Reeces Road
- 294 Motunau Beach Road, including access to the site.
The application includes an assessment of environmental effects including drawings, visual simulations and appendices all of which are attached to and form part of the application and as otherwise required to provide for the construction, operation and maintenance of a wind farm / wind energy facility together with ancillary structures. The application may be inspected at Council Service Centres and libraries during normal office hours.
Please contact Helga Rigg on (03) 3140020 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the application.
Any person may make a submission on the application, but a person who is a trade competitor of the applicant may do so only if that person is directly affected by an effect of the activity to which the application relates that-
(a) adversely affects the environment; and
(b) does not relate to trade competition of the effects of trade competition.
You may make a submission by sending a written or electronic submission to Hurunui District Council at 66 Carters Road, PO Box 13, Amberley 7441. The submission must be on Form 13. Copies of this form are available from Hurunui District Council or available on our website.
Submissions close on Tuesday 24 May 2011.
You must serve a copy of your submission on the Meridian Energy Limited, whose address for service is: Alison van Polanen, Meridian Energy Limited, PO Box 2454, Christchurch 8140.
Manager Environmental Services