Situated in a high country basin, the small, natural alpine spa village of Hanmer Springs has been a favourite retreat for generations of New Zealanders. The award winning Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa complex is a major draw card, and the pristine alpine environment with its forests, rivers and mountains enhance its appeal as the ultimate year round destination. There’s a substantial variety of accommodation available, complemented by delightful restaurants, cafés, boutique shopping, galleries and craft shops.
Hanmer Springs offers activities for all tastes and fitness levels, with numerous walkways, golf, horse riding and mountain biking options available. There are opportunities for pure relaxation with massage & wellness treatments or blood pumping, thrill seeking adventures such as jet boating, white water rafting, bungee jumping, and fourwheel driving. The St James Conservation Area and Queen Mary Hospital Historic Reserve site also provide both locals and visitors with exciting new opportunities for recreational activities.
Hanmer Springs has always promoted a general ‘health and wellness’ theme. Historically, this was related to the presence of the hot pools, with their relaxing and rejuvenating purpose, as well as the Queen Mary hospital. Today, the township still maintains its theme of spiritual and physical wellness.
In recent years the Council has developed a growth management strategy for the township which includes:
- Upgrading the town centre
- Redeveloping the former Queen Mary Hospital site
- Providing for subdivision and lifestyle development
- Reviewing the carparking standards
- Investigating apartment living and design
- Planning for future growth including: infrastructure for essential services, better East/West road linkages, and assigning locations for service industries.