Manager's Certificates

A manager who holds a current manager’s certificate must be on duty at all times when alcohol is available for sale or supply to the public in an On or Off licensed premises, and in some clubs.  The name of the manager on duty must always be displayed on the licensed premises.

The manager is responsible for compliance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, the conditions of the licence and the conduct of the premises.

What do you need to do before applying for a Manager’s Certificate?

Before applying for a Manager’s Certificate you need hold specified qualifications and meet criteria which are used by the District Licensing Committee to assess your suitability to be a duty manager.  The flow chart for issuing Manager’s Certificates outlines the process your application will go through. 

Applying for a Manager’s Certificate

Once you have completed both your Licence Controller Qualification course and have about six months experience working in the job, you can apply for your Manager’s Certificate. The application form needs to be completed fully and with all the supporting information attached when it is lodged. 

Application for a New Manager’s Certificate

Application for the Renewal of a Manager’s Certificate

Manager’s Certificate Application Fee

The Manager's Guide

Copies of your manager’s application are forwarded to the Police and Licensing Inspector for their reports.  You will be interviewed by the Licensing Inspector to discuss your knowledge and experience in the sale of alcohol.  The application will then be determined by the Licensing Committee.

A Manager’s Certificate is issued initially for one year.  It can then be renewed for three years. The renewal application must be lodged prior to the expiry date and you can continue in your role until the Committee makes a decision on your application.

We will endeavour to advise you in advance that your Manager’s Certificate is due to expire, however this is dependent on having up-to-date contact details for you, such as current postal or email addresses.

Appointment as a Temporary Manager

While your application is being processed, the licensee of your premises may appoint you as a Temporary Manager if you have made a full application.  The licensee must notify the Licensing Committee and Police of this using the Notification of Management Change form.

Contact Us

If you have any questions contact us.