The Hurunui District Council provides and manages nine cemeteries throughout the district.
There is also one closed Council cemetery, the former Jed Cemetery at Gore Bay, as well as various private burial sites. The Department of Conservation administers closed cemetery sites at Conway Flat with Church Property Trustees administering Brackenfield, and St. Paul's, Leithfield.
You can search the Hurunui District Council Cemeteries Database to find where your family and friends are buried (records as at 1 May 2010).
(for Plot reference please download the Layout maps from the area below).
|Balcairn||Leithfield Rd, Balcairn||Layout|
|Culverden||Cemetery Rd, Culverden||Layout|
|Glenmark||Church Rd, Waipara||Layout|
|Hanmer Springs||Jollies Pass Rd, Hanmer Springs||Layout|
|Homeview||Parnassus Rd, Cheviot||Layout|
|Horsley Down||Lance Rd, Medbury||Layout|
|Rotherham||Davison Rd, Rotherham||Layout|
|Waiau||Clarence St, Waiau||Layout|
|Waikari||Kellocks Rd, Waikari||Layout|
Separate interment charges are made within the various cemeteries as a consequence of differing costs associated with the various contractors.
Prices are reviewed each 3-year term when the sexton contracts are let.
There are three types of plots available for purchase.
- Grave plot -These exist in the older areas and can have surrounds or are concreted over. These are the responsibility of the plot owners’ family.
- Lawn plot - Lawn plots are available in most Cemeteries, they have a concrete berm laid out for the headstone and will be grassed and mowed for ease of maintenance. Berms are laid to ensure a consistency of straightness, tidiness and ease of plot identification.
- Cremation plot - Cremation plots are available in all Cemeteries. This allows those with ashes to have a final placement site without having to purchase a full size plot. Please refer to the Cemeteries Bylaw 2014 for Cemetery rules and regulations.
All plots may be purchased in advance. A certificate is issued to identify the purchaser, the cemetery, and the plot number. Please refer to the Fees & Charges schedule, for current prices and our policy on plot refunds
- Application to purchase a Grave, Lawn or Cremation plot.
Family are permitted to erect a headstone on the berm of a lawn or cremation plot, or on a grave plot. A permit is required to undertake this work.
In most cases the mason appointed by the family will contact us to obtain the permit. However, in the case of the family carrying out the work themselves, they will need to contact us to obtain a permit.
All costs involved with the installation and maintenance of a headstone are the family’s responsibility.
In all cases monuments must comply with the provisions of the Hurunui District Council Bylaw 2016.
- Application for a Monumental work Permit
The cemetery records are kept at Council offices in Amberley, Cheviot and Culverden.
Old maps, registers and burial warrants are archived within an easy access system.
Information from these old records has all been entered into the Council Access database programme, it is now certain that all burial information held by Council has been accessed and that records are up to date.
Cemetery records are a matter of public record and are available for inspection. It is now also common to receive inquiries regarding the whereabouts of past family members by those interested in genealogy.
The creation of the Council Access database programme now means that all inquiries can be met with minimal delay, in often emotional circumstances for the customer. Total customer satisfaction is now provided by:
- Screen map coloured to show availability of plots
- Printed purchase certificate
- Genealogical details printout
Plans detailing plot numbers and a list of interments are available in the shelter kiosks at the Balcairn, Glenmark, Hanmer Springs and Homeview Cemeteries.
It is the Council's intention to provide shelter kiosks and information boards in the remaining five cemeteries.