Restricted Building Work

From March 1 2012, Restricted Building Work came into effect.  This applies to most residential building or renovation work and only a Licensed Building Practitioner can undertake or supervise the work.  Contact the building team for further information or head online to the Build It Right website.

Associated links:

Public search to check if your builder is licenced

Occupational licensing


Owner Builder and DIY Projects

Property owners can carry out some restricted building work on their own homes.  To find out if you can be classified as an owner builder see the information on the Build It Right website page for Homeowners.

Before you can use the Owner-Builder exemption you need to complete a Statutory declaration as to owner-builder status form showing that you meet the owner-builder criteria.

The statutory declaration form has to be witnessed and signed by a Justice of the Peace or someone else authorised by law do so.  This form needs to be given to your local council with your application for a building consent, or before the construction Restricted Building Work on your home starts.

It is an offence under the Crimes Act 1961 to give false information in a Statutory Declaration, and it is also an offence under the Building Act 2004 to give false information.