Solid and liquid fuel burners

A building consent is required to install a new or second had burner.

If you are in an urban area and/or your property size is less than 2 hectares in size, you are required to have a burner with an Environment Canterbury approval and this number must be included on your application.

When applying for a building consent please supply the following:

Please note:  Wet back models require the services of a registered plumber to make the connection to the hot water cylinder.


While you do not need a building consent to replace a flue or firebricks with comparable materials, your work will still need to comply with the building code.  Installing a heat pump does not require a building consent but must be installed by registered electricians who certify their own work.

Gas fires are considered energy works and are exempt from the building consent process, however they must be installed by a registered gas fitter in accordance with the requirements of the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act.  We would advise you to provide us with a copy of the gas certificate so that this can be placed on the property file for future reference.


Associated links:

Consent application for a solid or liquid fuel heater

Environment Canterbury - List of approved burners

Second hand wood burner producer statement

Installer's installation certificate