Rural Fire

Take care with fire

The Hurunui District is climatically dry and hot during the summer periods. 

There is also a large number of privately owned exotic forests spread throughout the district. 

Native tussock and snowgrass cover the hill and high country and marrum grass and coastal tussock are found along the east coast of the District.  There are extensive areas of indigenous forests throughout the district, but more-so in the State Forest areas to the west.

Burning off as a management tool is carried out regularly by farmers in the hill and high country. The burning off for land-clearing in the exotic forest areas takes place occasionally. 

Hanmer Springs Township extends up to the boundary of Carter Holt Harvey Forest and there is a direct threat to the safety of residents and property should a major fire breakout in this area.

Any major fire in the Hurunui can threaten the public and cause the loss of lives and may cause damage to public utilities, disrupt power and communication services.

If you are travelling through our district, be responsible.

Our Responsibilities

Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) covers all of the Hurunui District except for;

FENZ has obligations under the Fire and Emergency New Zealand Act 2017 to promote prevention detection control and restriction of fire in its rural area.

This includes imposing fire restrictions and bans where appropriate.

FENZ can be contacted on 0800 658 628 or email

There are also special conditions around stubble burning and hill and country burning you may need to know about.

Outdoor fires outside of our authority

If you live in a township, you will need permission from Environment Canterbury to light a fire outdoors.Fireseason

Because the Clean Air Legislation also governs fires, it is a good idea for anyone wishing to light fires to also check with Environment Canterbury as well as Fire and Emergency New Zealand.  Year round fire restrictions also apply in those parts of our district owned by Public Conservation Land. 

If you live on or within Public Conservation Land, or the 1km fire margins around it or the coast, you will need a permit from the Department to light an outdoor fire.

Before lighting any fire near a road, you need to consider the safety of road users, and in particular smoke hazard across roadways.   

If your land is more than 600 metres above sea level you should also contact the appropriate roading authority for advice.

Environment Canterbury Regional Council

Outdoor burning on rural properties

Hill and High Country Burning

For the Landholder: Burning vegetation in Canterbury Region is a permitted activity (this means that no resource consent is required, Land and Vegetation Management, Environment Canterbury Regional Plan, Part IV) provided that conditions are met.
Hill and High Country Means: Land more than 20 degrees in slope or more than 600 metres above sea level. 

If you answer YES to any of the above and your burning falls within the conditions described in the following brochure then your burning is a permitted activity and you will not need a resource consent.  Resource consent is required if your burning falls outside of these conditions.
Please read the brochure for more information.