Food and Environmental Health Licensing

B71Cz7EIYAEke0zFood Act 2014

The Food Act 2014 is now operative and came into force on 1 March 2016.  

The Food Act takes a risk-based approach to managing food safety, introducing different rules for different businesses depending on what they do. Higher-risk food businesses must use a food control plan. Plans set out what businesses will do to keep food safe and suitable.

Template food control plans are designed for food service businesses like restaurants, cafes and caterers, and food retailers like delis, butchers, fishmongers and bakeries. They are also for other organisations that make and serve food, like rest homes and schools. These templates mean businesses don't need to write their own plan from scratch.

Businesses that need to change to the new rules first

Any new food business should register under the Food Act straight away, but existing food businesses are changing over to the new rules in stages.

Missed your deadline?

Don't worry. Just register now.

The deadline for some food businesses to apply to register was 31 March 2017. If you've missed the application deadline, it's important to get your application in to make sure you’ll be registered by 30 June. It can take a while to process applications, especially if there are a lot of people in the queue.

If you're unsure what to do, or have any problems, speak to your local council.

Businesses that fail to register by their due date can be fined $450.

Food service businesses with an alcohol licence

These businesses include restaurants, cafes, caterers, bars, and other organisations that make and serve food, like rest homes. Businesses with an alcohol licence need to register their business by 31 March 2017. Those without an alcohol licence have until the following year (31 March 2018). To register you'll need to complete a food control plan (FCP). FCPs are used to manage food safety. Most businesses can use a template FCP created by MPI, and register their business with their local council.

Steps to a template food control plan

Early childhood education centres that make food

Early childhood education (ECE) centres and kōhanga reo that cook meals, or prepare food like sandwiches or salads, should register under a national programme 2. Most will register with their local council. Home-based services and centres that only serve low-risk snacks don’t need to register.

Find out more about registering – ECE centres and kōhanga reo

Guidance for Early Learning Services

Top 5 food safety factors

Processors of nuts and seeds

These include businesses that roast coffee beans, roast, salt or coat nuts or seeds, or make products like nut bars or trail mix. Most businesses need to register with their local council and follow a national programme 2.

Steps to a national programme 2

Manufacturers of food for vulnerable people and some ready to eat food

If you make the following types of food you will need to register by 31 March 2017:

Manufacturers of higher-risk foods like these need to create a custom food control plan, and register the plan and the business with MPI. Any other food they make or sell can be included in the plan.

Steps to a custom food control plan 

Food Act 2014

The Food Act 2014 applies to all new businesses from 01/03/2016.

If you are considering starting a food business in the Hurunui in new or existing premises you may want to view our general advice leaflet.

Existing businesses will transition between 2016 and 2019 depending on this timetable.

To assist business owners, the Ministry of Primary Industries has developed an online tool, called “Where do I fit?” It will help you understand what rules you need to follow under the new Food Act 2014

Use the Where do I fit? tool

Food Control Plan (FCP) information and template FCP steps

National Programme (NP) information and NP1 steps, NP2 steps and NP3 steps.

Now you know where you fit, you can find application forms and other links below.

Application Form for Food Act 2014  - one site

Scope of Operations

Templates for Food Control Plans

Have a look at some of these case studies to see what other businesses have been doing or feel free to - contact us   

How do businesses renew their FCP registration?

It's nearly a year since the new Food Act came into effect! That means the date for some businesses to renew their registration is also coming up. Here’s some information that might help: 

1. The Act only allows businesses to renew their registration while it is current. That could create additional expense for businesses if they wait until their registration has expired and then have to submit a new application.

2. The Operator should confirm, as a minimum, that these details are accurate/up-to-date:

We at the Council will do our best to remind you that your business is coming up for renewal in good time, so you can confirm all this and pay before the expiry date.


Hairdressers, Camping Grounds and Offensive Trades.

Certificates of registration expire on the 30th of June each year.

Premises are registered and inspected Annually.  At the beginning of June each year, businesses that have a current licence with Council will be forwarded a renewal form.

Application for - Hairdressers, Camping Grounds and Offensive Trade.

Stands and Stalls, Mobile Shops, Hawkers or Itinerant Traders.

Application for - Mobile Shops/Hawkers/Itinerant Traders 

Public Places ByLaw  - Please read this for information on where mobile shops can trade in the Hurunui

Licensing Team:

Environmental Health Officers:

Eric Donald - Phone 03 314 9181 / 027 500 2562

Dianne Morrison - Phone 03 314 0051 / 027 645 1416

Administration Officer:

Kelly Marchant - Phone 027 528 6975