Schools and Community Recycling and Waste Minimisation Education Programme
Hurunui Council funds a programme to work with Hurunui schools, pre-schools, community groups and organisations to provide a recycling and waste minimisation education / awareness raising programme.
As part of this programme exciting things are happening including the production of a new waste and recycling resource pack , which will be delivered to schools shortly and the approval by Council to develop an education centre; work to establish this is underway for an opening in 2017 and this will be used to help spread the reduce, re-use and recycling message further.
The programme focuses on waste minimisation and recycling and is specific to Hurunui. Through the programme, school pupils, teachers, staff and communities can learn how to:
- Reduce waste at source - home, school and work.
- Re-use and recycle resources.
- Compost all garden and food waste.
- Consume wisely, litter free lunches and making wise purchasing choices.
- How waste and recycling is managed in Hurunui.
- Support the national Love Food, Hate Waste campaign.
Local information is provided including what to place into the recycling bag, the services available at Hurunui's transfer stations and the additional waste management and recycling programmes available.
An Educator is available to visit and provide:
- Curriculum support and resources for teachers and community groups on recycling and waste minimisation.
- Classroom and group teaching sessions.
- Advice on how to conduct a waste audit to ascertain the amount and quantity of rubbish, which schools produce.
- Assistance to establish systems to enable a school wide approach to minimise waste to landfill.
- A newsletter every two months, sharing ideas and providing updates and a special edition at Christmas.
- On-going checks on waste minimisation and recycling systems in schools, pre-schools and community groups to support reduce, re-use and recycling.
- Provide guided tours of the Amberley transfer station for schools, pre-schools and community groups and organisations (by prior arrangement only).
For further details on the recycling and waste minimisation education programme, contact Sally Cracknell at Hurunui Council on 03 314 8816 or 027 240 1107 or Lesley Ottey at Eco Educate on 027 333 1344 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org