Locations and Opening Times
All Hurunui Council transfer stations are closed on public holidays.
52 Grays Road
Out of hours recycling facilities for food and drink cans, paper, card, plastic bottles and containers are provided at the transfer station gates.
Recycling must be clean and not in sacks or bags when put in the recycling containers. Lids must removed from plastic bottles.
|Cheviot - 91 Seddon Street||Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - 10am to 1pm.|
|Culverden - 68 St Leonard’s Road||
Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday - 2pm to 4pm.
|637 Hanmer Springs - near the river bridge||Winter opening hours - 6th May to 31st August
|Waiau - 116 Rotherham Road North - near the river bridge||Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday - 10am to midday.|
Recycling outside of Transfer Station Opening Hours
Hurunui District Council provides recycling banks at the following locations:
- Amberley transfer station - 52 Grays Road.
- Hanmer Springs - adjacent to the library.
- Hanmer Springs - adjacent to the public toilets on Chisholm Crescent.
- Hanmer Springs - outside the transfer station.
- Culverden - adjacent to the public toilets.
- Cheviot - in the car park to the rear of Hurunui Council's Service Centre.
- Gore Bay - adjacent to the public toilets by Old School Reserve.
Through these glass bottles (no lids), clean food and drink cans, clean newspapers, magazines, greeting cards, telephone directories, junk mail, office waste paper, cardboard, egg boxes and clean plastic bottles (no lids) can be recycled.
Larger volumes and commercial loads of recycling (including glass) should not placed into the recycling bins due to limited space, but delivered to the transfer stations during opening hours.
Transfer Station - Recycling
It is possible to recycle the following through the transfer stations.
- Glass bottles (no lids).
- Food, drink and pet food cans.
- Newspapers, magazines and greeting cards.
- Cardboard, egg boxes and egg trays.
- Telephone directories and office waste paper.
- Plastic bottles (no lids), plastic containers and carrier bags.
- Polypropylene meat trays - only the dimpled polypropylene trays.
- Scrap metal and white goods.
- Car, electric fencing and household batteries.
- Empty gas bottles and fire extinguishers.
- Clothing and shoes (Amberley only).
- Household cleanfill (Amberley only).
- Fluorescent lighting tubes and energy saving light bulbs.
- Green (garden) waste.
- E-waste - including televisions, computers, printers and monitors.
- Paint and stains.
- Household and garden chemicals (Amberley only).
- Engine oil (Amberley, Cheviot and Culverden only).
- Cooking oil (Amberley only).
- Empty, triple rinsed and qualifying agricultural chemical containers (Culverden only).
Food, drink and pet food cans, plastic bottles, paper and cardboard must be clean and not in sacks or bags when put in the recycling containers at Amberley and Hanmer Springs transfer stations.
Cardboard must be flattened and tied into secure bundles not exceeding 7kgs in weight to be accepted for recycling at Cheviot, Culverden and Waiau transfer stations.
Polystyrene meat trays and plastic strapping are not recyclable.
Paint can be taken from the paint bins at the transfer stations for no charge for re-use; please ask the staff.
Green Waste Recycling
The following types of green waste are accepted through the transfer stations for composting and are determined by the contractor who composts the green waste.
- Tree branches up to 100 mm thickness (and shorter than 2.4 m).
- Shrub and hedge prunings under 100 mm thickness.
- Leaves (Amberley and Cheviot transfer stations only).
- Green vegetative material, i.e. perennials, vegetable plants, annuals, fruits etc.
- Pea straw, clean hay, straw. (Amberley and Cheviot transfer station only where green waste is stored in a container).
The aforementioned forms of green waste must be recently removed from the garden. Old and dried out green waste cannot be accepted for composting.
Materials NOT acceptable for composting (and charged for as general waste) are:
- Large branches (over 100 mm thick or longer than 2.4 m).
- Grass clippings.
- Flax and flax flower stalks.
- Whole tussock plants and grasses.
- Cabbage tree leaves and palm fronds.
- Weeds with roots contaminated with soil.
- Soil and compost heaps.
- Material with baling twine/string mixed through it.
- Oxalis and listed noxious weeds.
- Mixed loads of rubbish and garden waste that cannot be sorted.
- Animal manure.
Household Cleanfill - Amberley Transfer Station only
The following materials are all accepted at Amberley transfer station as cleanfill. Please note - all cleanfill must be weighed in and is chargeable. Asbestos clearance certification may also be required.
For commercial sized loads, the council must be contacted in advance as there are restrictions on the volumes which can be accepted. This is to minimise the risk of loads being declined.
|Asphalt (cured).||Weathered (cured) asphalt is acceptable: After asphalt has been exposed to the elements for some time, the initial oily surface will have gone and the asphalt is considered inert.|
|Concrete – un- reinforced.||Inert material. Ensure all other attached materials are removed.|
|Concrete –reinforced.||Reinforced concrete is thus acceptable providing protruding reinforcing steel is cut off at the concrete face prior to arrival at the transfer station.|
|Fibre cement building products.||Inert material comprising cellulose fibre, Portland cement and sand. Products containing asbestos will not be accepted.|
|Glass - excludes glass bottles||Inert.|
|Soils, rock, gravel, sand, clay, etc.||Acceptable only if free of contamination.|
|Tiles (clay, concrete or ceramic).||Inert.|
E-waste and televisions are accepted for recycling at all Hurunui transfer stations and needs to remain separate from the other waste and recycling being brought to the transfer station. On arrival, please speak to a staff member, who will provide assistance.
- Toners and drums must be removed from printers, fax machines and photocopiers.
- Televisions and monitors with broken screens cannot be recycled.
The following are accepted.
|AC adapters and chargers||Fax machines||Network, data and slave cables|
|Apple computers (mac)||Freeview boxes||PC mother boards and servers|
|Cell phones and chargers||Game consoles and controls||Photocopiers, printers and scanners|
|CD-roms and floppy drives||Hard drives||Power supply leads and three pin plugs|
|Circuit boards - all grades||Keyboard / mouse||Stereos and car stereos|
|Computer monitors||Kitchen appliances (metal only)||Telecom boards|
|CPU cards and processors||Laptops||Telephones and telephone switches|
|DVD and video players||Memory sticks and modems||Televisions|
Is there anything, which is not accepted at the Transfer Stations?
Medical waste, needles, hazardous waste, ashes, large bundles of wire, sealed drums or containers, hardfill, asbestos and tree stumps are not accepted. Contact Council regarding how to dispose of these.
Should wire be brought to the transfer stations, notify staff on arrival, to enable the quantity requiring disposal to be checked and determined if acceptable.
Commercial waste operators, skips and demolition waste is only permitted at Amberley transfer station.
The Safe Management of Asbestos
Asbestos is not accepted at any Hurunui Council transfer station. For information on managing, identifying and disposing of asbestos, please visit the asbestos aware website.
Asbestos is a health hazard to you and your family, if you inhale the very fine fibres that can be created when you damage or disturb materials that contain it. If you, or any contractors you use, don’t plan work carefully and take appropriate precautions, you may spread contamination. This can settle on carpets, drapes and soft furnishings and become airborne at a later date. Don’t expose yourself and your family to this risk.
Discounted Bokashi Composting Kits and Compost-Zing
There are available for purchase at Amberley transfer station (52 Grays Road) for the prices shown below.
They can also be purchased via Hanmer Springs, Amuri and Cheviot libraries, by ordering, paying in advance and collecting a couple of days later.
|Bokashi Composting Kits||Discounted Price|
|10 litre system - starter kit (bucket set and one bag of Compost-Zing)||$38.80|
|15 litre system - starter kit (bucket set and one bag of Compost-Zing)||$41.10|
|Compost-Zing per 1kg bag||$6.80|