- Locations and Opening Times
- Recycling Outside Transfer Station Opening Hours
- Transfer Station - Recycling
- Green Waste Recycling
- Household Cleanfill - Amberley Transfer Station only
- E-Waste Recycling
- Is there anything not accepted at the Transfer Stations?
- The Safe Management of Asbestos
- Discounted Bokashi Composting Kits and Compost-Zing
Due to the Queens Birthday public holiday on Monday 4th June, all transfer stations will be closed.
The Amberley transfer station will open between 10am and 4pm on Tuesday 5th June.
52 Grays Road
Out of hours recycling bins for cans, paper, card, plastic bottles and containers are at the gates.
Recycling must be clean and not in sacks or bags when put in the recycling containers and lids must removed from plastic bottles.
|Cheviot - 91 Seddon Street||Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - 10am to 1pm.|
|Culverden - 68 St Leonard’s Road||
Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday - 2pm to 4pm.
|637 Hanmer Springs - near the river bridge||Winter opening hours - 6th May to 31st August
|Waiau - 116 Rotherham Road North - near the river bridge||Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday - 10am to midday.|
Hurunui District Council provides recycling banks at the following locations:
- Amberley transfer station - 52 Grays Road.
- Hanmer Springs - adjacent to the library.
- Hanmer Springs - adjacent to the public toilets on Chisholm Crescent.
- Hanmer Springs - outside the transfer station.
- Culverden - adjacent to the public toilets.
- Cheviot - car park to the rear of Hurunui Council's Service Centre.
- Gore Bay - adjacent to the public toilets by Old School Reserve.
Through these glass bottles (no lids), clean food and drink cans, clean newspapers, magazines, greeting cards, telephone directories, junk mail, office waste paper, cardboard, egg boxes and clean plastic bottles (no lids) can be recycled.
Larger volumes and commercial loads of recycling (including glass) should not placed into the recycling bins due to limited space, but delivered to the transfer stations during opening hours.
It is possible to recycle the following via all transfer stations - unless stated otherwise.
- Glass bottles - no lids.
- Food, drink and pet food cans.
- Newspapers, magazines, greeting cards, office waste paper and telephone directories.
- Cardboard, egg boxes and egg trays.
- Plastic bottles - no lids, containers and carrier bags.
- Dimpled polypropylene meat trays.
- Scrap metal and white goods.
- Car, electric fencing and household batteries.
- Empty gas bottles and fire extinguishers.
- Clothing and shoes (Amberley transfer station).
- Household cleanfill (Amberley transfer station).
- Fluorescent lighting tubes and energy saving light bulbs.
- Green (garden) waste.
- E-waste - including televisions, computers, printers and monitors.
- Child car seats and capsules - excludes polystyrene seats.
- Paint and stains.
- Household, garden, pool and spa chemicals (Amberley transfer station).
- Engine oil (Amberley, Cheviot and Culverden transfer stations).
- Cooking oil (Amberley transfer station).
- Empty, triple rinsed and qualifying agricultural chemical containers (Culverden transfer station).
Food, drink and pet food cans, plastic bottles, paper and cardboard must be clean and in sacks or bags when put in the recycling containers at Amberley and Hanmer Springs transfer stations.
Cardboard must be flattened and tied into secure bundles not exceeding 7kgs in weight to be accepted for recycling at Cheviot, Culverden and Waiau transfer stations.
Polystyrene meat trays and plastic strapping are not recyclable.
Paint can be taken for no charge for re-use; please ask on site.
The following types of green waste are accepted via the transfer stations.
- Tree branches up to 100 mm thickness and shorter than 2.4 m.
- Shrub and hedge prunings under 100 mm thickness.
- Leaves - Amberley and Cheviot transfer stations only.
- Green vegetative material, i.e. perennials, vegetable plants, annuals, fruits etc.
- Pea straw, clean hay, straw. (Amberley and Cheviot transfer station only where green waste is stored in a container).
Old and dried out green waste cannot be accepted for composting.
Green wastes NOT accepted and therefore charged for as general waste include:
- Large branches (over 100 mm thick or longer than 2.4 m).
- Grass clippings.
- Flax and flax flower stalks.
- Whole tussock plants and grasses.
- Cabbage tree leaves and palm fronds.
- Weeds with roots contaminated with soil.
- Soil and compost heaps.
- Material with baling twine/string mixed through it.
- Oxalis and listed noxious weeds.
- Mixed loads of rubbish and garden waste that cannot be sorted.
- Animal manure.
The following materials are all accepted at Amberley transfer station as cleanfill.
All cleanfill must be weighed in and is chargeable. Asbestos clearance certification may also be required.
For commercial sized loads, council must be contacted in advance. There are restrictions on the volumes accepted. Prior contact will minimise the risk of loads being declined.
|Asphalt (cured).||Weathered (cured) asphalt is acceptable: After asphalt has been exposed to the elements for some time, the initial oily surface will have gone and the asphalt is considered inert.|
|Concrete – un- reinforced.||Inert material. Ensure all other attached materials are removed.|
|Concrete –reinforced.||Reinforced concrete is thus acceptable providing protruding reinforcing steel is cut off at the concrete face prior to arrival at the transfer station.|
|Fibre cement building products.||Inert material comprising cellulose fibre, Portland cement and sand. Products containing asbestos will not be accepted.|
|Glass - excludes glass bottles||Inert.|
|Soils, rock, gravel, sand, clay, etc.||Acceptable only if free of contamination.|
|Tiles (clay, concrete or ceramic).||Inert.|
E-waste and televisions are accepted for recycling at all Hurunui transfer stations and needs to remain separate from the other waste and recycling being brought to the transfer station. On arrival, please speak to a staff member, who will provide assistance.
- Toners and drums must be removed from printers, fax machines and photocopiers.
- Televisions and monitors with broken screens cannot be recycled.
The following are accepted.
|AC adapters and chargers||Fax machines||Network, data and slave cables|
|Apple computers (mac)||Freeview boxes||PC mother boards and servers|
|Cell phones and chargers||Game consoles and controls||Photocopiers, printers and scanners|
|CD-roms and floppy drives||Hard drives||Power supply leads and three pin plugs|
|Circuit boards - all grades||Keyboard / mouse||Stereos and car stereos|
|Computer monitors||Kitchen appliances (metal only)||Telecom boards|
|CPU cards and processors||Laptops||Telephones and telephone switches|
|DVD and video players||Memory sticks and modems||Televisions|
Medical waste, needles, hazardous waste, ashes, large bundles of wire, sealed drums or containers, hardfill, asbestos and tree stumps are not accepted. Contact Council regarding how to dispose of these.
Should wire be brought to the transfer stations, notify staff on arrival, to enable the quantity requiring disposal to be checked and determined if acceptable.
Commercial waste operators, skips and demolition waste is only permitted at Amberley transfer station.
Asbestos is not accepted at any Hurunui Council transfer station. For information on managing, identifying and disposing of asbestos, please visit the asbestos aware website.
Asbestos is a health hazard to you and your family, if you inhale the very fine fibres that can be created when you damage or disturb materials that contain it. If you, or any contractors you use, don’t plan work carefully and take appropriate precautions, you may spread contamination. This can settle on carpets, drapes and soft furnishings and become airborne at a later date. Don’t expose yourself and your family to this risk.
There are available for purchase at Amberley transfer station (52 Grays Road) for the prices shown below.
They can also be purchased via Hanmer Springs, Amuri and Cheviot libraries, by ordering, paying in advance and collecting a couple of days later.
|Bokashi Composting Kits||Discounted Price|
|10 litre system - starter kit (bucket set and one bag of Compost-Zing)||$38.80|
|15 litre system - starter kit (bucket set and one bag of Compost-Zing)||$41.10|
|Compost-Zing per 1kg bag||$6.80|