Because it is important to us that the land transport network in our district is safe and sustainable we also work with groups and agencies to deliver community programs, as listed in our Annual Plan.
Delivery of education initiatives developed in conjunction with community groups to cater for:
- Workplace travel plans
- School travel plans
- Neighbourhood accessibility plans
- Travel awareness
- Ride sharing
- Road safety
The Road Safety Coordination Committee, with the aid of the Road Safety Coordinator (Tony Francis) co-ordinates road safety projects, to help educate, promote and raise awareness about the importance of road safety our communities. A representative from the Roading Department sits on this committee.
These community projects focus on:
- Alcohol: To help reduce alcohol related harm offending and drink driving.
- Speed: Working with ACC, to raise awareness to motorists about the impact of speed. Working with local schools to help resolve speed issues around their schools.
- Child Restraints: Child restraint checkpoints are held throughout the district each year to promote and raise awareness about the correct usage of child restraints.
- Fatigue: Fatigue stops are available nation wide with one located in Greta Valley, to raise awareness to motorists of the importance of taking breaks whilst traveling. At these stops there are toilets available, fatigue and road safety resources and free coffee.
- Cycling and Pedestrian: Raising awareness about cycle and pedestrian safety.
Hurunui Road Safety Coordinator
Tel: (03) 332 2722
Fax: (03) 332 8885
Mob 021 332 885