Rotherham & Waiau
The township of Waiau was the first of the three main settlements established in the area previously known as the Amuri Ward.
It originated in the 1860s, and, due to the ferry; the bridging of Waiau River; the opening of the road to Kaikoura and the completion of the railway line; it soon became an important farm servicing and transport centre.
The development of Rotherham as a township followed in 1877, as it was laid out in order to attract labourers to the district.
Over the years, the Amuri has been an area of traditional large scale farming, characterised in many cases by continuous family ownership across several generations.
The townships of Amuri-Hurunui epitomise small New Zealand rural towns.
They are great places to relax and enjoy the local scenery and attractions.
Rotherham and Waiau offer access to the Waiau River, brimming with trout for the skilful angler and where the salmon run during February and March.
The Amuri Golf Club also has a 9-hole golf course.
Watters Cottage, located in Rotherham, is a great example of an original cob cottage.