Conical Hill Reserve - Lease for a gravity-based recreational ride
|CONSULTATION IS CURRENTLY ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.|
The resource consent (RC210098) that was granted to Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa to install and operate a gravity-based recreational ride on a section of Conical Hill Reserve, has been appealed. So, until we know the outcome of the appeal, we are asking you to hold off sending us your suggestions and/or feedback regarding what you think we should consider for the lease.
If you have already sent through your suggestions and/or feedback on the lease, this will be saved and considered if a lease is still on the cards after the appeal process.
The operation of a gravity-based recreational ride on a section of Conical Hill Reserve is on the cards, pending on Hurunui District Council granting a lease to Hanmer Springs Thermal Pool & Spa (HSTP&S).
In this case, formal public notification is not required by the Reserves Act 1977 (Section54(2A)), as a resource consent has been granted for the activity (pending the appeal period) under the Resource Management Act 1991. The resource consent decision can be viewed here.
Council is currently drafting a lease document and considering the conditions the lease will have, and we view these as the key areas:
- The requirement to operate in accordance with Resource Consent RC210098 (or any subsequent consent) – this includes the requirement of a building consent for any structures, and a wildlife permit.
- A ‘percentage-based rental’ will be charged, which means the more popular the ride is, the more rental Council earns from lease. As a backup there will be a minimum rental in place.
- HSTP&S will be required to undertake works approved by Council on Conical Hill Reserve (outside of the lease area) with a percentage of the rental income, ie part of the rental, invested straight back into the Reserve.
- A maintenance fee will be required towards upkeep of the shared-use tracks on Conical Hill Reserve.
- Public use of the toilet that HSTP&S construct, during business operating hours, which is near the lookout.
- The Lease term will be five years, with two rights of renewal of 10 years (total of 25 years).
A plan showing the area of Conical Hill Reserve that HSTP&S propose to lease can be viewed here.