Did you know...
You may be eligible for assistance with your rates as part of the Government's Rate Rebate Scheme to provide assistance towards rates for Super-annuitants and lower income property owners?
The amount of rebate depends on a combined income of all property owners, the amount of rates charged, and may include the number of dependents you have. This is not means tested or based on your current savings balance, only on income.
- You can still apply for a rebate for 23/24 Rating year.
- You have until 30 June 2024 to apply.
- No appointments – just fill in the form and return.
- Forms are available for pick up at Council offices/service centres, we can post on request, or you can print out a form here.
- You do not have to be a pensioner to apply.
The maximum rebate for the 2023/2024 rating year is $750.00
This pool of money comes from the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) and is funded from taxes and paid against your rates.
While applications are initially gathered and applied to your rates account by our council staff, all applications are processed fully by the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA).
Once we have received all of your paperwork, this is then forwarded to the DIA, no information is kept on file by us from year to year. The Rebate must be applied for, fresh each year.
The rating year runs from 1 July to 30 June and you can apply at anytime during that period.
It is just a matter of completing and returning the Rates Rebate Application form, These are available from any of our service centres or libraries
|Hurunui District Council Amberley Office||66 Carters Road, Amberley||Phone 03 314 8816|
|Cheviot Service Centre / Library||39 Hall Street, Cheviot||Phone 03 319 8134|
|Hanmer Springs Library / Service Centre||Cnr Amuri Avenue and Cheltenham Street,
|Phone 03 315 7912|
|Amuri Community Library / Service Centre||Amuri School, School Road, Culverden||Phone 03 315 3008|
- Evidence of your gross household income for the tax year 1 April to 31 March for the previous tax year - This is important.
- If you are acting on behalf of someone else, please provide a copy of a ‘Power of Attorney’ document.
Source of Income
Interest & Dividends
Bank or company tax certificates
Any payment from WINZ for the “full year”
No income evidence required
Any payment from WINZ for the a part year
Contact IRD for a Certificate of Earnings
Gross income for the tax year ended 31 March . Your employer or the IRD can provide this.
Accounts for the year ended 31 March . Your accountant or tax agent can provide this – this must include a list of expenses claimed from IRD.
- You were not living in the property you are claiming a rebate for on 1 July
- You are not the legal ratepayer and do not appear on the rates roll
- The property is a rental property
- The property is used principally for farming, commercial, industrial or business purposes.
- Are assisting someone who is unable to attend and do not have a “Power of Attorney” document.