Did you know..
You may be eligible for assistance with your rates as part of the Government's Rate Rebate Scheme to provide assistance towards rates for Super-annuitants and lower income property owners?
The amount of rebate depends on a combined income of all property owners, the amount of rates charged, and may include the number of dependents you have. This is not means tested or based on your current savings balance, only on income.
The maximum rebate for the 2019/20 rating year is $640.00
This pool of money comes from the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) and is funded from taxes and paid against your rates.
While applications are initially gathered and applied to your rates account by our council staff, all applications are processed fully by the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA).
Once we have received all of your paperwork, this is then forwarded to the DIA, no information is kept on file by us from year to year. The Rebate must be applied for, fresh each year.
The rating year runs from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020 and it is now time to make arrangements to apply for the rebate.
Appointments are necessary to obtain your rebate. Please telephone the following to arrange an appointment time at the location that serves you best – please quote the valuation reference (for Waikari please ring the Amberley Office):
|Hurunui District Council Amberley Office||66 Carters Road, Amberley||Phone 03 314 8816|
|Cheviot Service Centre / Library||39 Hall Street, Cheviot||Phone 03 319 8134|
|Hanmer Springs Library / Service Centre||Cnr Amuri Avenue and Cheltenham Street,
|Phone 03 315 7912|
|Amuri Community Library / Service Centre||Amuri School, School Road, Culverden||Phone 03 315 3008|
|Waikari Medical Centre||100 Princes Street, Waikari||Phone 03 314 8816|
|Amberley Office 03 314 8816||Appointments for Amberley from Monday 20 July 2020 to Friday 14 August 2020 will be:|
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 8.30am to 11.30am. and
- Tuesday and Thursdays – 2.30pm to 4.30pm.
From 21 August 2019
- Wednesday morning appointments only 8.30am to 11.30am
|Other appointment times/locations as below:|
|Amuri Community Library / Service Centre||Tuesday 23 July|
10.00am to 2.00pm
|Tuesday 11 August|
9.00am to 3.00pm
|Cheviot Service Centre/Library||Tuesday 28 July|
10.00am to 3.00pm
|Tuesday 18 August|
10.00am to 3.00
|Tuesday 1 Sept|
10am to 2.00pm
|Hanmer Springs Library/Service Centre||Tuesday 4 August|
12.15pm to 3.00
|Waikari Medical Centre|
Thursday 6 August
|Tuesday 3 Sept|
9.00am to 3.30pm
- Bring your latest rates assessment, along with evidence of your gross household income for the tax year 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020 – this is important.
- If you are acting on behalf of someone else, please bring a ‘Power of Attorney’ document.
Source of Income
Evidence to bring
Interest & Dividends
Bank or company tax certificates
Any payment from WINZ for the “full year”
No income evidence required
Any payment from WINZ for the a part year
Contact IRD for a Certificate of Earnings
Gross income for the tax year ended 31 March 2019. Your employer or the IRD can provide this.
Accounts for the year ended 31 March 2019. Your accountant or tax agent can provide this – this must include a list of expenses claimed from IRD.
- You were not living in the property you are claiming a rebate for on 1 July 2019.
- You are not the legal ratepayer and do not appear on the rates roll
- The property is a rental property
- The property is used principally for farming, commercial, industrial or business purposes.
- Are assisting someone who is unable to attend and do not have a “Power of Attorney” document.
These are more complex and you are best advised to telephone and discuss before you visit.
For more information on rates rebates you can visit the Department of Internal Affairs website.