Other Rating Information
The following rates are levied:
District Wide Rates
- General Rates
- Canterbury Museum
separate rates for:
- Water Supplies
- Sewer Maintenance
- Land & Stormwater
- Refuse Removal
- Rural Fire
- Targeted Tourism Rate
- Medical Centre Rate for Amuri, Cheviot, Hanmer Springs & Hurunui
- Swimming Pool Inspection Rate
- Amberley Swimming Pool Rate
- Special Projects Rate
District Wide Rates
Includes General, Library, Roading, Democracy, Planning, Promotion-Tourism and Canterbury Museum Rates. These rates have been used to fund those services that are defined in the Funding Policy. Either a uniform annual general charge or a district rate on capital value funds those items identified in the Funding Policy.
Amenity rates have been used to fund those services that are defined in the Funding Policy. Either a uniform annual charge or an amenity rate (within the ward) on capital value funds those items identified in the Funding Policy.
Separate Rates - Water
Separate water rates are levied on properties in the serviced area:
Unrestricted: connected properties pay full water rates, non connected pay half rates.
- metered - to recover the fixed costs of water supply and loan servicing costs where applicable. User charges are based on metered water consumption
- unmetered - to recover the full cost of water supply and loan servicing costs where applicable.
Restricted: to recover the full cost of water supply and loan servicing costs where applicable.
Separate Rates - Sewer Maintenance
Separate sewer maintenance rates are levied to recover the costs of sewage disposal, and loan servicing costs where applicable, on all properties within the serviced area.
Separate Rates - Land Drainage
Separate land drainage rates are levied to recover the costs of land drainage from ratepayers within land drainage areas.
Separate Rates - Refuse Removal
- Separate refuse removal rates are levied on all urban properties serviced by a household collection.
- All businesses in the Hurunui District Council in an urban area are levied with a business refuse rate.
- A rural refuse rate is levied to those properties requesting a refuse pickup.
- A glass collection Rate is charged to properties in Hanmer Springs Township.
Excerpt from the Long Term Plan Consulting Document - Finding the Fairway.
A handy infographic showing how much we would spend on each area for every $100 we collect in rates.