Running an Event
Working together to help with the running of an event
The Council needs to balance its support for community events with the interests of public safety and maintaining amenity. Sometimes you need to get special permission from the Council to hold events and there may be costs involved.
We need to know if your event will:
- affect vehicle or pedestrian traffic
- increase traffic to a specific area
- require a road or footpath closure
- require signage next to a road
- have a stage or marquee
- have amplified sound
- be open to the public
- offer food or alcohol (Food vendor exemption form)
- be held on Council land (we will need to know at least six weeks beforehand to make sure it doesn't clash with any other event).
If your event also includes amusement devices or you are operating amusement devices at an event in the district please apply for a permit
To reduce the volumes of waste and maximise recycling from your event, the Council has an Event Waste Reduction Guide to provide ideas pre, during and post event.
New in 2023 is the option to hire the Community Hub Trailer which is an event trailer equipped with sports games, BBQ and cooking utensils, tables, camping chairs and safety equipment. It's available to hire by Hurunui residents or any Hurunui based community groups but to avoid disappointment enquire early. Refer to the hub flyer for additional information.
Please refer to our brochure for further information or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.