Collections - Recycling
Only official Hurunui Council recycling bags will be collected, these can be purchased from various outlets across the district.
Bags must be at the kerbside boundary of the property by 8am on collection day.
Through the collections, it is possible to recycle the following, all of which must be clean and loose in the recycling bag.
- Newspapers, magazines and telephone directories
- Cardboard, greetings cards, egg boxes and trays
- Office waste paper, junk mail, wrapping (glitter free) paper and envelopes
- Food, drink and pet food cans
- Plastic bottles (no lids) and plastic containers (numbers 1-7)
- Polypropylene meat trays - Dimpled polypropylene trays, not polystyrene foam trays
Bundles of cardboard and papers, which do not fit in a recycling bag should be flattened, tied in secure bundles and taken to a transfer station. These will not be collected from the kerbside.
The following must NOT be put in the recycling bags.
- Polystyrene and polystyrene meat trays
- Plastic shopping bags
- Plastic strapping
- Soft plastics - i.e. any plastics that can be scrunched in your hand
- Clothing and shoes (can be recycled via Amberley transfer station)
- Food or garden waste
- Glass bottles (can recycled via all transfer stations for no charge)
Bags split before the contractors arrival and non official bags are not the crew’s responsibility to clean up.
In Hanmer Springs, household glass bottles are collected, providing:
- An official Hurunui Council glass recycling box is used
- Boxes do not contain contaminants e.g. other recycling or waste
- All lids are removed
- Boxes can be lifted safely and are not overloaded
- Boxes have been left at the kerbside of the property
Bottles left outside commercial premises, in cardboard boxes or a container not issued by Hurunui Council will not be collected.