Collections - Recycling
Only official Hurunui Council recycling bags can be collected, these can be purchased from various outlets across the district.
Bags must be at the kerbside boundary of the property by 8am on collection day.
Through the collections, it is possible to recycle the following, all of which must be clean and loose in the recycling bag.
Please remember when recycling in Hurunui, paper must be larger than a standard 'letter' envelope in size (11cm x 22cm).
- Newspapers, magazines and telephone directories
- Cardboard, greetings cards, egg boxes and trays
- Office waste paper, glitter free wrapping paper and envelopes.
- Food, drink and pet food cans
- Clean plastic bottles and containers numbered 1 - i.e. soft drink bottles (no lids)
- Clean plastics bottles and containers numbered 2 - i.e. milk bottles (no lids)
- Clean plastic bottles and containers numbered 5 - i.e. yoghurt and ice cream containers (no lids)
Bundles of cardboard and papers, which do not fit in a recycling bag should be flattened, tied in secure bundles and taken to a transfer station. These will not be collected from the kerbside.
The following must NOT be put in the recycling bags.
- Plastics numbered 3, 4, 6 and 7 - these will contaminate our recycling
- Soft plastics - i.e. any plastics that can be scrunched in your hand
- Polystyrene and polystyrene meat trays
- Plastic shopping bags
- Plastic strapping
- Clothing and shoes (can be recycled via Amberley transfer station)
- Food or garden waste
- Glass bottles (can recycled via all transfer stations for no charge)
Bags split before the contractors arrival and non official bags are not the crew’s responsibility to clean up.
In Hanmer Springs, household glass bottles are collected, providing:
- An official Hurunui Council glass recycling box is used
- Boxes do not contain contaminants e.g. other recycling or waste
- All lids are removed
- Boxes can be lifted safely, are not overloaded and left at the kerbside of the property
Bottles outside commercial premises, in cardboard boxes or a container not issued by Hurunui Council will not be collected.