The council has event recycling bins, which can be hired, to help maximise recycling and minimise waste.
Organisers are encouraged to consider early on when planning events and work with vendors to minimise waste to landfill by considering the following.
- Providing monitored recycling bins, perhaps engaging a local sports team or community group to help as a fundraiser
- Requiring vendors to avoid bringing materials such as plastic wrap and polystyrene to the event, as these cannot be recycled locally
- Arranging for food waste to be separated for composting or use locally as animal feed
- Request vendors only sell items which can be recycled or composted
- Encouraging vendors to offer a discount for those bringing a re-usable coffee cup
- Requiring vendors to use alternatives to plastic straws and plastic cutlery
- Sharing waste minimisation and recycling plans for the event with stakeholders early on, communication and planning is imperative
For advice on implementing recycling at events or to book the recycling bins, contact the waste team on 03 314 8816.