Rubbish and Recycling
Hurunui Council provides a weekly refuse and recycling collection service on the days below in urban areas (non holiday weeks).
|Monday||Hanmer Springs, Gore Bay and Mt Lyford|
|Tuesday||Amberley, Amberley Beach, Leithfield and Leithfield Beach|
|Wednesday||Cheviot, Greta Valley, Omihi, Motunau Beach, Scargill and Waipara|
|Thursday||Culverden, Rotherham, Waiau, Hawarden and Waikari|
Collections from official rural collection points are also provided, please follow Council guidelines.
Where to Buy Official Rubbish and Recycling Bags
Refuse and recycling bags are sold at the locations below and cost $3.30 per refuse bag and 50 cents per recycling bag. The cost contributes towards collection, processing and disposal.
- Amberley Mobil
- Amberley Super Liquor
- Amberley Transfer Station - (location and opening hours available here)
- Amberley Council Offices
- Amberley, Amuri, Cheviot and Hanmer Springs Libraries
- Amberley Fruit and Vege
- Amberley Post Shop
- Cheviot Hardware
- Culverden Four Square
- Hanmer Springs Four Square
- Hawarden Four Square
- Rotherham General Store
- Waiau Hardware
- Waikari Auto Services
- Waipara Post Shop
When using the kerbside recycling service, wash and dry recycling thoroughly to protect your household and our frontline staff.
It is more important than ever, that recycling is clean and not contaminated, please remember:
- The recycling bags can only accept paper, cardboard, rigid plastics numbers 1, 2 and 5 (no lids) and food and drink cans.
- Soft plastics, shopping bags, plastics numbered 3, 4, 6 and 7 and tetrapaks are not recyclable; these go in the rubbish.
- Plastic lids are not recyclable and cause contamination - clean plastic lids (numbered 2 only - milk and juice bottles) can be dropped off to the weighbridge office at Amberley transfer station for passing onto a local re-use project
- Items such as food, clothing, garden waste, plastic strapping, dirty containers, nappies and polystyrene are not recyclable. Bags containing these items will be stickered and left.
- If in doubt – throw it out.
Collections - Rural
Find out how rural residents in Hurunui can use the councils refuse and recycling collection service.
Find out what happens to recycling, where to purchase a discounted composting kit and the range of schemes available.
Transfer Station Recycling
Find out what is accepted for recycling via the transfer stations in Hurunui.