Transfer Station Recycling
Hurunui is able to accept the following items for recycling via its transfer stations and encourages sorting recycling before arrival on site.
- Glass bottles and jars - no lids
- Clean rigid plastic bottles and containers numbered 1 - i.e. soft drink bottles (no lids)
- Clean rigid plastic bottles and containers numbered 2 - i.e. milk bottles (no lids)
- Clean rigid plastic bottles and containers numbered 5 - i.e. yoghurt and ice cream containers (no lids)
- Food, drink and pet food cans
- Paper and cardboard; paper must be larger than a standard envelope (11cm x 22cm)
- Scrap metal and whiteware
- Vehicle and fencing batteries
- Hazardous wastes - engine oil, gas bottles, fire extinguishers, paint and household batteries
- Clothing and shoes - Amberley transfer station only
- Cleanfill - Amberley transfer station only
- Green (garden) waste
- Child car seats via the SeatSmart campaign
- Aluminum wine bottle lids
- Empty, triple rinsed and agricultural chemical containers via the Agrecovery scheme - Culverden, Cheviot and Waiau transfer stations and PGG in Amberley.
- Food, drink and pet food cans, plastic numbers 1, 2 and 5, paper and cardboard must be clean and not in sacks or bags when put in the recycling containers at Amberley and Hanmer Springs transfer stations
- Cardboard must be flat and tied into bundles not exceeding 7kgs to be recycled via Cheviot, Culverden and Waiau transfer stations
- Reduce waste from junk mail by signing up to receive junk mail by e-mail or place a no junk mail sticker on your mail box.
What is NOT recyclable via the transfer stations?
- Plastic bags and soft plastics. Soft plastics are not accepted for recycling in Hurunui, but soft plastics recycling is available at some stores in Christchurch. For details, visit the Soft Plastics Recycling Scheme.
- Plastic types 3, 4, 6 and 7
- Plastic lids. Clean plastic lids (numbered 2 only - milk and juice bottles) can be dropped off to the weighbridge office at Amberley transfer station, Hanmer Springs transfer station or Hanmer Springs library for passing onto a local re-use project
- Bubble wrap
- Glad wrap or shrink wrap
- Polystyrene meat trays
- Plant pots
- Bale wrap - contact Plasback
- Plastic strapping
E-waste and televisions are accepted for recycling at all Hurunui transfer stations and needs to remain separate from the other waste and recycling being brought to the transfer station.
Green Waste and Mulch Sales
Some green waste is accepted at the transfer stations at Amberley, Cheviot and Hanmer Springs for recycling.
Hurunui Council encourages the safe disposal of hazardous substances and allows paint dropped off at its transfer stations to be taken for re-use for free.
Cleanfill is accepted at Amberley transfer station only. This must be kept separate from other waste or recycling to be charged at the cleanfill rate.
Public Place Recycling Bins
Council provides recycling bins at several locations in Hurunui for small and non commercial volumes of recycling.