Northern Pegasus Bay
Northern Pegasus Bay Bylaw
The beaches of Pegasus Bay stretch for 50 kilometres, from Sumner and New Brighton in Christchurch to just north of the Waipara River in the Hurunui District.
The beaches are of high ecological value and are also home to several recreational activities.
To balance the needs of recreation and coastal environment protection, the Council adopted the Northern Pegasus Bay Bylaw.
Some key points of the Bylaw include:
- Vehicles may only be driven on wet sand below the high tide mark (except when using an access route specified by the Bylaw).
- Vehicles entering or leaving the beach must take the shortest most practical route and use an existing access route.
- A speed limit of 30km/h applies, except when within 50 metres of people where drivers must reduce speed to 10km/h.
- Driving vehicles, including motorbikes, on the dunes is not permitted.
- Horses may only be ridden, driven, or lead on wet sand below the high tide line. The exceptions to this are:
- When leaving or entering the beach – the most direct practical route must be used, or
- Where the soft sand immediately south of Ashworths Beach makes it physically impossible.
- Horse riders must give way to pedestrians.
- People driving a horse and sulky must stay clear of pedestrians and ensure their driving doesn’t endanger any pedestrian, bird or animal.
Where vehicles and horses are prohibited
- There are two areas where vehicles and horses are prohibited:
- The Kowai River Mouth
- The Waipara River Mouth
Environment & Habitat
- Roosting, nesting, resting or feeding birds must not be disturbed.
- Birds’ nests and their contents must not be disturbed or removed.
- No vegetation or sand may be removed from the dunes.
- Camping is not permitted on the beach or foreshore (except within a nohoanga entitlement area if the person has the authorisation of Te Runanga o Ngai Tahu).
Environment Canterbury Rangers monitor activities in the Northern Pegasus Bay area.
To report a problem contact them on 0800 324 636
Issues can also be reported using Snap Send Solve but please note Snap Send Solve reports are not monitored outside business hours.