Responsible Freedom Camping in the Hurunui
Welcome to the Hurunui! This beautiful district hosts unique wildlife and stunning scenery – from the sea to the mighty mountains. The Hurunui is perfect for exploring, adventuring and getting back to nature. We’re proud of our charismatic small towns, vast landscapes and rich history - and we are so happy to welcome you here!
Visitors to the Hurunui play as much of a part in keeping this area beautiful as we do. Thank you so much for taking good care of this district while you visit and following our 'fundamentals' for camping.
The Hurunui’s Freedom Camping Fundamentals:
- Match your camping location to your vehicle type
- Some areas are for certified self-contained vehicles only and others accommodate non-self-contained vehicles too, check our Freedom Camping Map to know where you should go or use the app CamperMate.
- Check how long you can stay in each location, there could be a stay limit, telling you when it’s time to visit the next spot ☀
- Dispose of your waste 💩🗑 responsibly using rubbish/recycling facilities and ‘dump’ stations
- Use public facilities for their intended purpose and provide for your own washing up 🚿🥣👕
- Stay fire wise 🔥 and only light fires in places specifically provided by us for that purpose or with consent
- Keep on top of area specific requirements – these may be detailed on our interactive map or on signs at certain camping locations
- Work in with the advice of our freedom camping ambassadors and/or enforcement officers
Freedom camping in this area is officially regulated by the Hurunui District Council Freedom Camping Bylaw 2018.