Digital Escape Rooms
Do you have what it takes? We are sure you do!
Solve a series of clues, open the locks in the puzzles and escape. Don't worry, it's just for fun and you can't get stuck inside!
Check out the collection of Digital Escape Rooms created by librarians all around the world - how cool is that?! These have been put together by our librarian friends at Central Otago and Queenstown Lakes Libraries and the link will take you to their collection.
These Digital Escape Room rooms are designed for children of different ages, or for families to work on together. Click on the image to begin, can you beat the members of your bubble?
Imagine the best stories being read aloud to you by our favourite storytellers – well that's Story Box Library! We get kids excited about reading, inspire their imaginations and let them have fun with stories, improving their language and literacy skills along the way. With an ever-growing library, suitable for preschool and primary aged children, it really is Storytime, Anytime! Sign in with your library card details by clicking on the image.
Your kids are free to explore enriching, educational and entertaining content, with movies and shows. There is a great collection with heaps of shows based on their favourite books.
Set up Parental Controls to make sure your kids are viewing age-appropriate content on Kanopy.
To exit, go to the drop down menu on the top right corner and select "Exit Kanopy Kids".
Kanopy does not provide the New Zealand classification ratings on individual titles. To check the NZ classification ratings for films offered by Kanopy go to the Office of Film and Literature's website to the Film and Video Labelling Body at http://www.fvlb.org.nz/nz. Documentaries are not included as they tend not to be classified.
For more information about Kanopy Kids, please visit Kanopy Kids help.
Some quick links to keep you entertained while at home:
- Interland Interland is an adventure-packed online game that puts the key lessons of digital citizenship and safety into hands-on practice. Play your way to being Internet Awesome.
- #OperationStorytime If you type this in to facebook search, it will bring up a collection of online storytimes from authors which your child can choose from.
- TeReoMaoriSingalong Everyday a new book, video, song and activity. Learn Te Reo with your tamariki.
- Storytimefromspace Books read to your child by astronauts in space.
- DavidWalliams free audiostory from David Walliams everyday.
- The Great Indoors Scouts with help of Bear Grylls pulled together some inspired indoor activity ideas. Keep your kids learning new skills and having fun (and avoid hearing ‘I’m bored’ every 30 seconds) all in #TheGreatIndoors.
- Also check out the virtual tours of the world's best museums and art galleries: The Louvre, The National Gallery of Art, The British Museum, The Smithsonian, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's, The Vatican Museums. Google search other institutions as there are plenty more to check out. Google search "museum, virtual tours" and immerse yourself!
- Webcams at Simothsonian's National Zoo for animal watching
- NASA fun learning activities for children. STEM based.
- Join The Crikey Club. If you’ve got an animal lover in your life, we recommend signing them up. This fun online club run by the Irwin's and Australian Zoo is a fun way to learn about conservation, with virtual zoo tours, activities and education all in one.
- MyHogwarts is an interactive Harry Potter forum where members attend Hogwarts in an all inclusive experience! Get through King's Cross, buy your supplies, gain an education in all your favourite subjects, then go on to become an auror, journalist, or maybe even a goblin.
Where will your journey lead you?
Reading Programmes 2021
Watch this space for our annual SummerRead coming in late November.
How does Beanstack work?
To get the most out of your Summer Reading experience we recommend creating a Beanstack account. Parents can create the account and have their children registered under their log in.