Hurunui Council provides a free education and awareness raising programme, which is specific to Hurunui, interactive and through it pupils, teachers, staff and community groups can learn:
- How to reduce waste at source i.e. home, school and work.
- How to re-use and recycle resources.
- How to compost all garden and food waste including building a worm farm and on-going health checks!
- Wise purchasing choices and litter free lunches - making beeswax wraps and boomerang bags.
- How waste and recycling is managed in Hurunui.
- How to support the national Love Food, Hate Waste campaign.
- Local information is provided including what to put in the recycling bag, services available at transfer stations and the extra recycling programmes available.
We are happy to provide the following.
- Curriculum support and resources for teachers and community groups on recycling and waste minimisation. Classroom and group teaching sessions.
- Advice on conducting a waste audit and can provide support to undertake audits.
- Assistance to establish systems to enable a school wide approach to recycling.
- On-going checks on recycling in schools, pre-schools and community groups to support reduce, re-use and recycling.
- Provide guided tours of Amberley transfer station by prior arrangement.
- Support for schools to recycle wine bottle lids, bread tags, ring pulls and plastic milk bottle lids.
For details on the education programme, contact Hurunui Council on 03 314 8816