Hurunui Council encourages the safe disposal of household hazardous substances.
- Do not mix hazardous waste with your normal rubbish.
- Do not pour it down the sink, storm water drain or onto the ground.
- Always read the disposal instructions provided.
The following household hazardous wastes are accepted via the transfer stations below.
Electric fence batteries
|Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau
Excludes EV batteries - contact vehicle manufacturer
|Household (alkaline, dry call and zinc), lithium, li-ion, button cell and camera batteries|
No rusty, leaking or modified batteries
|Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau transfer stations|
Amuri, Cheviot and Hanmer Springs libraries are also drop off points
All batteries are sorted and prepared for shipping overseas to be recycled due to no viable options in New Zealand at the present time.
The separated components of the batteries are re-used in a variety of industries.
|Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau|
|Engine oil||Amberley, Cheviot and Culverden|
|Fluorescent tubes||Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau|
|Compact light bulbs||Amberley|
|Paint, stains and solvents||Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau|
Available for re-use for free at all transfer stations.
|Household and garden chemicals|
Pool and spa chemicals
|Amberley - 20 litres maximum
Waste fuel, paint thinners and anti-freeze is not accepted
Safety when Bringing Household Hazardous Wastes to the Transfer Stations
When bringing hazardous waste to the transfer stations, please remember:
- If possible, label the containers to identify the contents.
- Ensure containers are secure.
- Transport containers upright and secure them to prevent them tipping over.
- Let the staff know on arrival if you have hazardous waste; if visiting Amberley Transfer Station, notify the weighbridge staff on arrival.
What Hazardous Wastes are NOT accepted at Hurunui transfer stations?
- Asbestos - for information on identifying and disposing of asbestos safely, visit Asbestos Aware.
- For the disposal of waste fuel and paint thinners (domestic and commercial and all hazardous waste from businesses, commercial sites or farms; contact a specialist company such as Agrecovery or Chemwaste.
- Anti-freeze, waste fuel and paint thinners is not accepted at Amberley transfer station; contact a specialist company such as Chemwaste.
- Larger volumes including 44 gallon drums of chemicals; contact a specialist company such as Chemwaste.
- Unwanted medicines and needles; contact your local pharmacy for advice.
- Ammunition, fireworks, explosives and flares; contact the Police Arms Office for advice.