Hurunui Council encourages the safe disposal of household hazardous substances.
- Do not mix hazardous waste with your normal rubbish.
- Do not pour it down the sink, storm water drain or onto the ground.
- Always read the disposal instructions provided.
The following household hazardous wastes are accepted via the transfer stations shown.
Electric fence batteries
|Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau
Excludes EV batteries - contact vehicle manufacturer
|Household (alkaline, dry cell and zinc), lithium, li-ion, button cell and camera batteries|
No rusty, leaking or modified batteries
|Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau |
Amberley, Amuri, Cheviot and Hanmer Springs libraries are also drop off points
Batteries are sorted and shipped overseas, due to no recycling options in New Zealand, the components are re-used in a variety of industries.
|Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau|
|Engine oil||Amberley, Cheviot and Culverden|
|Fluorescent tubes||Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau|
|Compact light bulbs||Amberley|
|Paint, stains and solvents||Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Hanmer Springs and Waiau|
Available for re-use for free at all transfer stations.
|Household and garden chemicals|
Pool and spa chemicals
|Amberley - 20 litres maximum
Waste fuel, paint thinners and anti-freeze is not accepted
Safety when Transporting Household Hazardous Wastes
When bringing hazardous waste to the transfer stations, remember:
- Label the containers to identify the contents.
- Ensure containers are secure.
- Transport containers upright and secure them to prevent them tipping.
- Let the staff know on arrival if you have hazardous waste; if visiting Amberley, notify the weighbridge staff on arrival.
What Hazardous Wastes are NOT accepted at Hurunui transfer stations?
- Asbestos - for information on identifying and disposing of asbestos safely, visit Asbestos Aware.
- For the disposal of waste fuel and paint thinners (domestic and commercial and all hazardous waste from businesses, commercial sites or farms; contact a specialist company such as Agrecovery or Chemwaste.
- Anti-freeze, waste fuel and paint thinners are not accepted at Amberley; contact a specialist company such as Chemwaste.
- Larger volumes including 44 gallon drums of chemicals; contact a specialist company such as Chemwaste.
- Unwanted medicines and needles; contact your local pharmacy for advice.
- Ammunition, fireworks, explosives and flares; contact the Police Arms Office for advice.