Green Waste and Mulch Sales
Green (garden) waste is mulched and when available sold via Amberley transfer station.
So all green waste delivered to the transfer stations for recycling needs to be free of rubbish and other non-acceptable materials.
Green Waste accepted at Amberley, Cheviot and Hanmer Springs transfer stations.
- Tree branches up to 100 mm thick and shorter than 2.4 m
- Shrub and hedge prunings under 100 mm thickness
- Leaves - Amberley and Cheviot only
- Green vegetative material e.g. perennials, vegetable plants and annuals
- Pea straw, clean hay, straw - Amberley and Cheviot transfer stations only
Green Waste not Accepted (charged as general waste)
- Large branches (over 100mm thick or longer than 2.4 m)
- Grass clippings
- Flax and flax flower stalks
- Whole tussock plants and grasses
- Cabbage tree leaves, palm fronds and ivy
- Weeds with roots contaminated with soil
- Soil and compost heaps
- Material with baling twine/string mixed through
- Oxalis and listed noxious weed
- Mixed loads of rubbish and garden waste
- Animal manure
Garden Mulch for Sale
Garden mulch is currently available for purchasing at the Amberley transfer station during normal opening hours.
Payment needs to be made at the weighbridge office, prior to going to the loading area.
- Per loader scoop - $15 per load
- Per standard sack (loaded by the customer) - $3.50 per sack
The green waste used to produce the mulch is closely monitored, but Hurunui District Council accepts no responsibility for the presence of weed seeds or mulched green waste, which has been sprayed prior to its arrival at the transfer stations.